The Interior Design Position
Job Description Details:
Lifestyle brand, Red Barn Mercantile, is growing and needs to add a friendly, creative, and caring member to its team. Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Red Barn Mercantile has been a part of the community for more than a dozen years. It’s our mission to serve our customers with great care, authenticity, and kindness. Our furniture and design business are growing, and we need to grow along with it. To support this exciting growth, we are seeking a high-energy, motivated, team-oriented, self-starting interior designer to join our team. If that sounds like you and you enjoy creating beautiful spaces and creating client connections in a positive and meaningful way, then we would love to hear from you.
Our interior design expansion starts with hiring a lead designer at Red Barn Mercantile, who will be responsible for many facets of our interior design program including design, business development, and in-store sales. Your partnership with the sales and design teams, as well as with our trade partners, will help promote Red Barn Mercantile as a leader in the Alexandria design community.
- Understand the design industry and be able to identify design trends and interpret them • Provide design expertise and execute small-scale design projects that include but are not limited to taking measurements, creating mood board presentations, sourcing materials, and providing drawings
- Determine needs and present solutions to in-store customers who are seeking design expertise in an effort to solve their problems while increasing sales
- Provide design expertise for scheduled appointments (Studio and Home visits), virtual appointments, and “on-demand” design time
- Schedule and conduct professional Home Visits as a next step in completing design presentations and closing project sales
- In partnership with the Store Manager, Design Manager, and Visuals Director, facilitate the presentation of vendor swatch libraries, including ordering, maintenance and organization
- Proactively identify new clients and trade accounts and network with local organizations and businesses that would benefit from Red Barn Mercantile’s design services and provide them with design services marketing materials
- Partner with the Store Manager and President to promote the Designer Trade program, ultimately driving new business
- In conjunction with the Marketing Team, President, and Store Manager host guest outreach events and design classes to increase customer engagement
- Assist in the building of the new interior design program by offering guidance on process models, relevant policies, and procedures that will enhance the customer experience
- College degree with focus on interior design preferred or equivalent job experience • The ideal candidate will have 2–5 years’ experience in interior design and consultation • Provide a design portfolio or clear examples of recent projects
- Strong space planning skills
- Employ basic drafting skills with the ability to read and interpret architectural plans and basic floor plans
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and other web-based platforms
- Ability to work independently without close supervision
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple projects and objectives simultaneously with various timelines
- Excellent creative, communications, delegation, follow-up and analytical skills • Ability to be mobile on the sales floor for extended periods of time
- Ability to be mobile outside of the Studio and comfortable conducting Home Visits with established guests
- Available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays • Maintain all driving expense and mileage records for In-Home consultations • Maintain time records per project
- Valid Driver’s License with satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report
- Ability to travel occasionally to market or to long distance home visits • Ability to make interpersonal connections and build relationships with team members, vendors, and clients.
Living Red Barn Mercantile’s Values:
Connection – Enjoys building relationships with customers and fellow team members. Understands the value of collaboration and working together on a common goal, whether that’s for the business, the community, or the individual. Embraces teamwork and achieving excellence together. Inspires others to connect with each other, themselves, and their space.
Generosity – Gives of their time, creativity, and knowledge freely. Embraces differences and searches for common ground. Contributes to a culture of kindness and inclusivity.
Vision – Is open to new ideas and actively seeks to learn and grow. Thinks creatively and enjoys solving difficult problems in ways that may be outside the status quo. Learns from mistakes and embraces change.
Contact us to apply!
If you are interested in the Interior Design position, please contact our Design Manager, Leigh Rizzieri at leigh@redbarnmercantile.
Part Time Sales Team Members
We are growing and we need to add friendly, funny, and caring members to our team. Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Red Barn Mercantile has been a part of the community for more than a dozen years. It’s our mission to serve our customers with great care, authenticity, and kindness. We are looking for a sales associate who wants to help us create customer connections in a positive and meaningful way. If that’s you and you have two or more years of experience in the home furnishings and gift retail sector, and are able to work weekends and holidays, then we would love to hear from you.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Create a warm, welcoming, and authentic shop experience for customers by greeting customers in a friendly manner, identifying their needs in a thoughtful, caring way, and fulfilling those needs thoroughly and respectfully.
- Assist fellow team members in receiving and unboxing merchandise. Also, assist in removal of packing materials.
- Merchandise product in a way that maximizes the sales floor for an easy, enjoyable shopping experience.
- Treat fellow team members with respect and kindness, and assist them as needed.
- Exemplify the Red Barn Mercantile company values of connection, generosity, and vision.
- Position is Part time and pay is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Candidate must be available to work weekends and holidays
- Candidate must have two years of home furnishings and gift retail experience
- Candidate must have appropriate computer skills
- Candidate must have a willingness to learn and contribute to a locally owned company
- Interior design experience is a bonus
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the company
Both Red Barn Mercantile and Penny Post are woman-owned and offer a friendly and flexible work environment. With a nod to the past and a look to the future, the stores broker in nostalgia with a contemporary flair. It’s our goal to create ways – through our physical spaces or through the written word – for people to connect with each other and have a feeling of belonging. We do this with our customers, partners, and staff by serving up what Danny Meyer calls enlightened hospitality. The growth, well-being, and satisfaction of the people we serve and serve with are our number one priority. Living Red Barn Mercantile and Penny Post’s Values Connection – Enjoys building relationships with customers, vendors, and fellow team members. Understands the value of collaboration and working together on a common goal, whether that’s for the business, the community, or the individual. Embraces teamwork and achieving excellence together. Inspires others to connect with each other, themselves, and their space. Generosity – Gives of their time, creativity, and knowledge freely. Embraces differences and searches for common ground. Contributes to a culture of kindness and inclusivity. Remembers that we are all human, we all make mistakes and are all worthy of forgiveness. Lives with the attitude that others approach each interaction with a generosity too. Evolution – Is open to new ideas and actively seeks to learn and grow themselves and the business. Thinks creatively and enjoys solving difficult problems in ways that may be outside the status quo. Learns from mistakes and embraces change.